Strike in Public Universities in Ghana

Today came with the news of that Ghana's two major universities, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and University of Ghana (UG) are closed due to strikes among the teachers. This immediately affects the mid-semester exams at these institutions and reportedly libraries also closed and students could be seen "roaming about in search of a place for research", according to Joy FM.

When we discussed the situation at my workplace today, opinions varied from that teachers should continue to provide a service for paying students - to that government has had time to do the correct payments and should not be worrying already low payed lecturers with delays. I know for sure this is affecting a lot of people (including myself who is waiting to hear from UG about my PhD application) who re just trying to get an education.

I've heard friends talk about the university teacher strike in 1995 which lasted a whole year. Lets hope this will be solved quicker!

Pic: Graduating students at University of Ghana

3 comments:

Abena Serwaa said...

Very interesting. I had no idea about this strike despite the fact that I actually work on Legon campus. Well, we are a little isolated from the main campus though...I just heard from a colleague that there was some sort of 'aluta' protest by TEWU yesterday but it is pretty much business as usual here at UG.

I'm a little surprised that someone at your workplace thought that lecturers should continue to provide services for paying students while non-paying students should be sidelined. I can't see why the vast majority of students should be deprived of education while the government continues to dillydally.

The government needs to either come out honestly and say that the money for the arrears is NOT available or simply pay-up!

Kajsa Hallberg Adu said...

@Abena Hm, so the strike is not even noticeable everywhere? What do you do that is not affected?

Just to clarify the person meant the same thing as you - that it is unfair that when the government do not pay, students are deprived of education as a result of this strike (some of them paying school fees that presumably should go to lecturers' salaries?)

I agree with you, information is key to solving the issue.

Abena Serwaa said...

Thanks for the clarification, I was really wondering about that! My office mate told me that the TEWU people have set up at the main campus gate this morning and are playing music. I used the back entrance to the university this morning so have not seen any of the action. I work on a semi-autonomous institute on Legon campus so although alot of staff members are part of TEWU or FUSSAG, many people like myself are employed on contract so are not paid by UG/Govt. of Ghana.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin