New Job, New Week

Last week, was my first at my new job.

As always when you start something afresh there is loads of information, faces and guidelines to take in
"you must create a new password", "Hi, don't you remember me?", "you should park here" etc ad infinitum.
In this case there is also a class of 47 students as I will be teaching Expository Writing for freshmen, or first year students.

Already all this steady stream of new has provided me with the best quality sleep for a long, long time. And already I love my new job!

Pic: White board answers for "how do you become a better writer?" It says Reading, Interview, Listening, Vocabulary, Critical Thinking, Dictionary, Write more, Talking more.

8 comments:

Esi Cleland Yankson said...

All the best with the new job. I'm sure it will be tons of fun.

And as for how one becomes a better writer, me thinks these 3 shd help:

1. read wide
2. write from the reader's perspective -ala George Gopen
3. Care about what you write, or at least feign enthusiasm...enthusiasm is infectious:)

Have a good week!

Miss Footloose said...

Good luck, Kajsa. May I offer you a couple of my favorites for good writing?

1. Write active sentences. Watch out for the verb "to be" in all its forms and try to get rid of it.

2. Cut down on adjectives and adverbs; use sparingly.

PS. Couldn't read your words on the white board -- sorry if I am repeating yours.

Kajsa Hallberg Adu said...

Esi and Ms Footlose. Thanks for the tips! At this point I need all the help I can get.

For the record, I wanted to blog about teaching inspired and engaged writing, but when I tried it looked too much like the film Dead Poets Society...

Edward of PathGhana said...

Maybe after sometime you can introduce them to blogging!!!

Kajsa Hallberg Adu said...

Hi Edward, as soon as I get them hooked on writing I will talk about blogging for sure...but one has to at least like to write before one embarks on blogging, right...?
Ms. Footlose, I tweaked the pic and also wrote out the words for you in the post, so now we can all see what my bright students said :-)

Miss Footloose said...

Thanks, that was good! Where are you teaching, what age are your students?

gamelmag said...

Good luck on your new job, Kajsa.

gamelmag said...

Good luck on your new job, Kajsa.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin